Mold growth, wood rot and insect infestations thrive in wet, damp environments such as basements. All they need is ample moisture and humidity from the air to survive. To prevent water damage and insect infestations, homeowners need to control moisture levels in their basement and crawlspace. At Affordable Foundation, we offer waterproofing systems to manage moisture in your Birmingham, Alabama and Tennessee home.
Wet, damp basements affect 60% of homes, and 38% run the risk of mold exposure. So where is the water coming from? There are several factors that cause flooded basements and crawlspaces. Some factors include:
- Melting snow and heavy rainfall: Without an adequate waterproofing system and proper drainage, water could find its way through cracks, joints and porous material in your wall and foundation. Even a small storm can produce 1,000 gallons of water for every inch of falling rain.
- Plumbing leaks: Broken or leaky pipes often causes saturated soil around the foundation. This could lead to soil erosion and soil movement. If you suspect broken underground pipes, get them repaired immediately to avoid settlement issues.
- Poor drainage: Clogged gutters and improper downspouts can cause standing water around the foundation and crawlspace. This could make the area messy and difficult to access for inspections, maintenance and servicing. Moisture and humidity could damage electrical circuits, rust metal appliances and cause wood rot.
- Maturing tree roots: Trees and shrubs planted too close to your home could dehydrate the soil during hot, dry weather conditions. As a result, the soil may shrink and cause settlement under the foundation. Trees should be planted at least 10 feet away from your home to prevent settlement.
If you notice water in your basement or crawlspace, look for signs of water damage in and around your home. Some signs include mold growth, musty odors, condensation, peeling paint, wet walls, buckling floors and deposits on walls. If you notice any of these signs, contact Affordable Foundation immediately before water destroys the overall structure of your home. We offer effective waterproofing methods to protect your home for many years to come.
Waterproofing Solutions and Systems
Affordable Foundation offers basement waterproofing systems for residents in Tennessee and Alabama. Our systems include:
- Basement Waterproofing: Our team of experts can waterproof your basement to eliminate flooding, mold growth and guard your home against foundation damage.
- Interior Waterproofing: Interior waterproofing is a de-watering system that relieves hydrostatic pressure against your foundation walls. A piping system runs along the footing that allows water to flow through a discharge pump.
- Exterior Waterproofing: Exterior waterproofing helps drain saturated soil and relieve water pressure against the foundation walls. It stops the water from surrounding the foundation where settlement problems occur.
- Surface Drainage: Our surface drainage system helps protect your home from water damage by directing the flow of rainwater away from the foundation.
- Sump Pump and Pits: Sump pumps and pits are designed to remove excess water from basements and crawlspaces. This helps prevent flooding, mold growth and household fires due to damage to electrical equipment.
- French Drains: French drains are designed to collect water around the home or basement. Water flows through the drain and into a lower location that is away from the foundation.
Let Affordable Foundation and Home Repair help you with your wet, damp basement. Call us today to find out how we can keep your basement safe and dry. We serve Birmingham, Huntsville, and the surrounding area. Call us for a free estimate.