What are the Signs you Need Foundation Repair?
Cracks in Brick
Windows not functioning
Cracks in Sheetrock
gaps in trim
Foundation Failure Warning Signs
Interior Signs You Need Foundation Home Repair
Cracks in walls or sheetrock can appear above doors, trim, windows.
Sticking Doors and Windows
Foundation settlement often causes doors and windows to stick, making them notably harder to open.
Squeaking floors often points to foundation failure. When the foundation of a home shifts, it brings the homes interior structure with it.
Floor cracks or separation in floors often means the foundation has shifted.
Uneven and Sloping Floors
Floors that slope are typically an indication of foundation settlement.
Saggy, Wavy, Bouncy Floors
Floors that sag, look and feel wavy or bouncy are often the effects of foundation settlement.
Ceiling cracks show signs of possible foundation settlement.
Wet Basement Blocks
Basement blocks can become saturated with water, if the wall is failing.
Exterior Signs You Need Foundation Repair
Cracked Brick/Cracked Mortar
Cracks in brick can be found anywhere, but are usually noticed around windows, doors, garage doors and corners of the home.
Stucco cracks are often signs of foundation settlement.
Chimney leaning/tilting is often a sign of foundation failure.
Stair, stoop and porch settlement are often signs that foundation near the area has settled.
What Causes Foundation Problems?
- Plumbing Leaks – Plumbing leaks sometimes go unnoticed. Over time, as water or sewage, leaks under the home, it begins to pool around the foundation on the soil. Wet soil expands, causing a foundation to settle atop of the new soil formation.
- Improper Gutters – Gutters that do not properly divert water away from the foundation, often causes dampened soil to expand, causing the foundation to shift or sink.
- Evaporation – After rainfall, water evaporates, often leaving soil very dry. When soil dries it shrinks, thus, causing foundations placed atop the soil to sink or settle.
- Transpiration – Plants absorb water resting on soil. When plants absorb water that has dampened soil, it dries up soil in close proximity, and can often leave soil too dry. Soil dryness and shrinkage lead to foundation sinkage.
- French Drain Failure – Allows water to pool on top of soil. Water that sits near a foundation, causes the soil around the foundation to collapse.
- Poor Soil Conditions – There are many variables that can contribute to foundation failure. One of the main causes for a foundation to settle in the Southeastern region of the United States, is the soil. In this region, the soil is referred to as Ultisols. This soil is found in humid regions and is composed of many particles that form a clay like texture. Soil that is clay-like allows for movement, shrinking and expansion. Thus, when a home’s foundation is built on ever changing, clay-like soil, changes in moisture levels and other Earthly components, cause the soil to move and re-form. When a foundation is built on top of soil that has shrunk or expanded, the foundation is forced to move/settle; over time, you may need foundation home repair to correct any problems your property encounters.
- Improper Soil Preparation – When a foundation is poured, it is important that the soil is tightly compacted before slab or blocks are installed. Failure to do so, can create foundation settlement.
- Poor Foundation Preparation – Since foundations are created using concrete, in some shape or form, improper installation of concrete (poured too thin, lack of steel or rebar, using broken blocks) can lead to improper foundation functionality.
Other Acts of Nature
- Maturing Tree Roots – Tree roots grow and reach outwardly over time. Trees near a home can often wreak havoc on foundations.
- Shrubbery Roots – While trees and shrubs often add curb appeal to homes, when planted too closely to the home, can often wreak havoc on foundations.
Should You Repair a Damaged Foundation?
Foundation settlement does not usually go away. Once settlement has begun, it is typical that damage will increase and carry on over time. You should contact a foundation repair service company right away, as it is important to resolve the issues at hand when dealing with foundation failure. Below are some reasons that you should repair a damaged foundation:
Foundation failure can lead to safety issues within the home or building.
Foundation settlement is often required to be fixed properly before any real estate actions can be carried out. Failure to do so before hand can lead to a decrease in selling price of the home or building.
To prevent further settlement, which often occurs after a foundation has begun settling, proper steps must be taken to ensure the foundation is stabilized.
While it is unpredictable what will happen with a foundation, it is important to protect the structure from further damage. Failure to do so could result in costly repairs or even lead to destruction of the structure.
What Are the Foundation Repair Options?
While there are different options when it comes to foundation repair, you want to ensure the best method is used.
Block Foundation – Crawlspace
Helical piers are composed of galvanized steel piles with a helical plate on each lead section, seven-foot extension piles and a bracket that is installed under the footer to lift the structure.
Samson floor support
Each Samson Floor Support is custom built to exact measurements of each home. Each custom, steel, floor support is made up of 3’’ tubular steel with support weight of 80,000lbs (per support). The support has a 1’’ steel, adjustable rod with a ¼ thick steel top and bottom plate. The support is seated on a 20×20 square – 12’’ thick concrete pad.
Block Foundation – Basement
(Interior) Helical Tie Back
(Exterior) Plate Anchor/Force Brace
Why Choose Affordable Foundation Home Repairs?
We understand that choosing the right company to repair your foundation can be a daunting task. We want to make it an easy choice when considering what company you want to repair your foundation. Before choosing an interior or exterior foundation repair company, you should ensure that they are licensed (through the state) and insured. Affordable Foundation & Home Repairs is licensed through the State of Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board.
Peace of Mind
What Is the Cost of Foundation Repair?
The cost of foundation repair can vary. Each foundation is different; therefore, each repair plan is unique to each foundation. Customers expect quality products at affordable prices with great customer service and that is our mission. From the office to the field, we only employ the best people in order to honor our mission.
3 Main Types of Foundations
Made of stacked concrete blocks, usually several blocks high, and either completely or partially underground.
Made of concrete blocks that typically stand a few blocks high. The crawlspace contains the homes “guts” such as AC ducts, plumbing, electrical lines, and floor structure.
Made of poured concrete and rebar.