With several chances of rain in the forecast for the next week in the Birmingham, AL area, water leakage may be a concern for many local homeowners. If there are cracks in your foundation or gaps between the walls and the floor, you might be at risk of ending up with a wet basement. Puddles and wet spots in the basement are more than just an eyesore – they can lead to mold growth that lowers the quality of air in your home and water damage that can put your home’s structural integrity at risk. If you do notice leaks in your home, contact Affordable Foundation and Home Repair as soon as possible.
Even if you do not see visible cracks in your foundation or if you have not noticed puddles in your basement or crawlspace, you may still have a moisture problem. Look for the following signs to be sure:
- Damp or soft spots on basement walls or floors
- Condensation on pipes
- Wet or damp insulation
- Rusted metal or rotted wood
- Crumbling concrete inside or outside the home
- Musty odors
- High humidity
- Mold or mildew growth
If you see ay of these signs, it could mean that water has seeped into your home and that you are in need of professional waterproofing as well as, possibly, foundation repair services. Affordable Foundation and Home Repair can provide homeowners in Birmingham, AL with high-quality basement waterproofing services.
What Causes Wet Basements in Birmingham, Alabama Homes?
There are a lot of things that can cause water to seep into the basement of your Birmingham home. One common cause in Alabama is foundation cracks. These cracks in your foundation can be formed in several different ways. Hot weather and dry conditions can cause soil to shrink, creating underground gaps that lead to foundation movement and cracking. Excess precipitation can cause soil to expand, pushing against the concrete and causing it to buckle or crack. Too much water can also erode soil under the foundation, leaving it to settle and crack due to a lack of support. No matter what has caused cracks to form in your foundation, there is a chance that these cracks could allow water to leak into the basement.
Wet or damp basements in Birmingham can also be the result of standing water. During frequent, heavy rains, the ground can only absorb so much water at once. Any extra water pools on top of the surface. If your yard slopes toward your home, or has low spots near the foundation, this extra water might pool against the foundation. Prolonged exposure to standing water can weaken the concrete and cause it to crumble. This standing water might also be able to seep through the porous concrete that makes up your foundation and get into your basement.
Basement Waterproofing Options from Affordable in Birmingham, AL
Fortunately, Affordable Foundation and Home Repair offers several waterproofing solutions and specializes in crack repair, giving us all of the necessary tools to protect your basement this summer. Our solutions for a wet basement in your Birmingham home include:
- Crack Repair: Cracks in your concrete might allow water to enter the basement or other areas of your home. Affordable Foundation and Home Repair offers slab lifting and foundation repair methods that can close cracks as well as crack sealing injections to ensure that water does not seep into your basement.
- Surface Drainage: Taking time to ensure that your yard and foundation have proper surface drainage installed can help to keep surface water from seeping into the basement. This involves everything from the grading of the yard sloping away from the home to downspouts extending a far enough distance from the home.
- Exterior Waterproofing: Exterior waterproofing can keep water in the ground from seeping through the concrete of your foundation. Exterior waterproofing involves waterproof membranes for foundation walls, drainage boards, and French drains.
- Interior Waterproofing: If there is already water in your basement, interior waterproofing can get rid of it. Interior waterproofing systems consist of sump pumps and sump pits as well as interior drainage pipes and channels.
- Crawlspace Encapsulation: Homes with crawlspaces are not immune to water problems during rainy periods like the one predicted in the next few days. If you have a crawlspace instead of a basement, we offer crawlspace encapsulation with vapor barriers to keep outside water from seeping in and causing rot, rust, and mold growth.
- Mold Removal: Is your wet basement causing mold to grow? If so, we can use our professional mold soda blasting technique to remove all traces of mold and prevent it from coming back.
Wet basements are a hassle, but the above waterproofing and repair options for Birmingham can help keep your mind at ease this summer. Contact Affordable as soon as you see signs of basement water. We offer free estimates on waterproofing for Birmingham, AL residents.