For some homeowners, the thought of mold growing in their home is their worst nightmare. Unfortunately, these things can happen, especially if there’s a leak or your home floods. If you’re worried about an infestation, learn to identify the signs of mold growth in your home. Below, we’ll explain the common symptoms and ways of removing mold from your house.
One of the most common signs of mold is a foul smell. Do you notice a musty smell in the basement or crawl space? If so, mold or mildew may be growing along the walls, floors, and ceiling. You may also notice a rotting smell. The reason for the variety of smells is there are different types of molds; additionally, the water vapor levels and types of moisture impact odor. Mold can “feed” on all sorts of things, including paint and wood, which may also affect the smell. Many describe rotting wood as having an earthy scent.
Check the Carpet and Furniture
Check your furniture if an area of the home like your basement has a bad smell and you find mold on the walls, floor, or ceiling. The spores could have spread to couches and other pieces you keep down there, depending on how long it’s been there. Additionally, if you have a carpeted basement, you may have to tear out the carpet to take care of the issue properly.
Sudden Increased Allergy Symptoms
If your allergies suddenly go from mild to obvious and persistent, there may be mold in your home. Many individuals with asthma also state that their symptoms get worse around mold. If you’ve been coughing and sneezing non-stop lately, and it seems to happen when you’re at home, it’s time to call an expert. A professional can inspect your home and use their equipment to detect possible mold.
Take care of mold as soon as possible. When mold spores are in the home, you regularly inhale them. In addition, air circulates throughout the entire house, so mold in your crawl space could cause health issues because you can inhale it in other rooms.
Mold can cause major damage to your home’s structure if you don’t deal with the issue in its early stages. As it spreads to the wooden beams, wood rot can occur, weakening your home’s overall structure. You may notice your floors suddenly feel a bit bouncy or sag slightly. Call an expert as soon as possible to have them evaluate the level of damage and make all necessary repairs so you don’t have to worry about it spreading even more.
High Moisture Levels
Excessive moisture is another sign of mold growth in the home. If you notice a lot of moisture in the house, there’s likely mold. This is because mold requires moisture and a cold and damp environment to flourish.
It may sound odd, but mold can bring in pests you’d rather not see in your house. While it may smell bad to us, various insects and forms of bacteria actually enjoy it. Various bugs like cockroaches, booklice, and termites all feast on mold. As a homeowner, mold and pests are two of the last things you want to see in your home, let alone both at once!
Causes of Mold Growth
Many things can cause mold to grow in your home, including (a):
- High humidity levels
- Leaky roof or pipes
- Cracks in the foundation
All these causes have one common denominator: moisture. Water can damage your home, and anything from a leak to a humid environment or a major flood creates a perfect place for mold. Luckily, you can call experts like The Crack Guys for mold inspection and treatment.
High Air Moisture
A dehumidifier is one of the best ways to remove water vapor from your home. However, if you notice you run yours constantly and it’s always full, you may be at risk. If this has gone on for a while, it may signify that there’s already mold in the home. Don’t wait; call a mold expert for an inspection.
Floods and Leaks
Both floods and leaks bring water directly into your home, but you may not always know about the issue immediately. A small leak caused by a window or crack in the foundation isn’t always easy to spot. Likewise, you may not know there’s a problem with your pipes until the whole area smells musty, and by that point, there’s already mold.
If your home floods due to a storm, thoroughly dry the area and turn on a dehumidifier to cut down on water vapor.
Why Mold Is Dangerous
Mold is bad for your health, and constant exposure can make it seem like you have year-round allergies. Medical experts have also stated that mold can lead to shortness of breath and increase the chances of asthma in children. Things become even more dangerous for household members with a compromised immune system. Never stay in a moldy home. If you suspect there’s a problem, it’s always best to get an inspection to ensure your safety and health.
How To Treat Mold
We’ve talked a lot about the signs of mold, its causes, and why it’s dangerous, so you’re probably wondering how to treat it. Companies like The Crack Guys send out an expert to inspect the area for all possible signs of mold. If there is mold, experts use chemicals to scrub the site, and then soda blast the area to remove and sanitize it. Doing this helps kill the mold spores and keep your breathing space clean.
Protect Your Home
The final step is to prevent a repeat incident. Depending on the cause, you may need to repair your foundation or waterproof your home. Waterproofing methods like encapsulation and installing a sump pump help reduce the risk of flooding. Talk with the professionals to see what they recommend so you can protect your home. Avoid the risk of mold so you don’t have to worry about all the related issues it can cause!